Skip to main content

Reading Notes: Mahabharata Part C


  • The Himalayas 
    • Yudhisthira (Arjuna was in Indra's celestial dwelling) and the 3 younger Pandava brothers and their shared wife, Draupadi, lived in the forest called Kamyaka where they met great sages, Yudhisthira learned dice skills, and were shown mystical waters that cleansed their sins
    • after being in Kamyaka for awhile they moved further north into the Himalayas 
      • the location of Kubera's dwelling
        • Kubera is the lord of treasure and king of the yakshas 
    • Dwelling of Kubera
      • palaces of crystal & gold
      • walls studded with jewels
      • beautiful gardens 
    • Kubera told Yudhishthira to be "patient and long-suffering and to wait for the time and the place for displaying kshatriya prowess"
    • the exiles (Pandavas and Draupadi) wandered on from the kingdom of Kubera
      • "sighed for Arjuna"
      • "beheld the bright car of Indra"
      • "worshipped Matali the charioteer"
      • Indra came with Asparas (female spirits of the clouds) and Gandharvas (male nature spirits)
        • promised Yudhishthira that he would "yet reign in splendor over all men"
    • Arjuna appeared 
      • the brothers rejoiced and they all returned to Kamyaka together
      • visited Markandeya the might sage
        • immortal
      • revealed to them the mysteries of the Deluge
        • links to the Wiki about Matsya a fish avatar in the 10 primary avatars of Vishnu and described as having rescued Manu in a great deluge 
  • Storytelling notes
    • I focused on this story because I know of a lot of texts that take place in the Himalayas
    • The Himalayas are always written about as some sort of mystical place full of magic and in this story, it is where Kubera the lord of treasure lives 
    • I want to play around with writing a story set in the Himalayas, possibly in the kingdom of Kubera. I think it would make for a good adventure story. 
  • Bibliography: Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913).
(Cover Art for Altai-Himalaya: A Travel Diary by Nicholas Roerich)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Week 14 Review

This video caught my eye because I had heard the story of Esther many times in church but I liked the way they told the story in this video. The song was clever and the video was humorous. Also, I didn't know what the festival of Purim was or that it celebrated the story of Esther, pretty cool stuff.  ( Image Source ) I loved this image because it is an important thing to remember when writing. As a writer, I am always hypercritical of my own work. That's, why it took me so long to conclude that I should: a) be an English Writing major and b) actually let people read my writing. There have been several posts this week about remembering that a fear of being wrong or striving to be perfect will only hold you back.

Week 14 Reading: Seven Secrets of the Goddess Part B

Rural cultures v. urban cultures rural valued fertility - associated with women urban valued obedience - associated with men, making women subservient  indicated control and discipline urbanization led to more rules and the idea of evil - one who does not submit to the rules Chinese myth Yin & Yang work in harmony to create life Yin - male dragon in the sky yang- the earth like a phoenix that recreates itself from ashes  Confucian traditions favor culture over nature favoring hierarchy, making the man more important  patriarchal societies link women with nature and men with culture culture domesticates nature --> men are asked to domesticate women Mesopotamian myth Marduk (male god-king) defeats Tiamat the primal female monster and brings order to the world stories like this abound across cultures Adam & Eve Eve tempts Adam to eat the forbidden fruit before Eve, God created Lilith who refused to be subservient to Adam a...