Skip to main content

My Favorite Places

Hartshorne, OK is a tiny town in southeastern Oklahoma just southeast of McAlester - my hometown. Hartshorne has two traffic lights and a Sonic Drive-In, and that is about it. My family homesteaded at a place called Arch just outside of Hartshorne proper during the land runs. I lived in Hartshorne until I was almost 10 then we moved to Michigan. While we lived in Michigan I still spent every summer in Hartshorne with my grandparents so I never really felt at home anywhere else. Hartshorne has its problems, as most small towns do. But it is home to me and I love this image of the dam at Hartshorne Lake at night.


(Photo by Floyd Morgan Jr.)

The Brewhouse Norman, OK
It might sound silly to say that one of my favorite places is a bar. But oh well, I have been a "regular" at The Brewhouse for years and have made so many meaningful connections with people that it would be silly for me not to say that Brew is one of my favorite places. The reason that I love Brew so much has nothing to do with the alcohol (although $1 wheat beer on Wednesdays in my personal beer mug is nice) the reason I love The Brewhouse is because of the people. I have been going there so long that a) people mistakenly assume that I work there and b) I have been through numerous sets of staff and regulars. Some of those people have become some of my best friends. So yeah, one of my favorite places is a bar, so be it.


(The Brewhouse Neon provided by GLDining)


Savannah, GA is another one of my favorite places. It is soaked in history and southern charm. I have only been to the city once but something about the oak trees dripping with Spanish moss has stayed with me. One of my goals in life is to buy a historic house in Savannah and renovate it to its former glory. I fell in love with the city in my early teens and it has been in the back of my mind since then, one day I will call Savannah my home. 




(Spanish Moss in Savannah, GA)

Comments

  1. I also vote for wheat beer, Erika! And thanks for sharing such different kinds of places here; that picture of the dam-by-night is so striking! I wish we could magically transport ourselves to India for this class so that those places could be really real to us, and not just pictures and words and videos. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Week 14 Review

This video caught my eye because I had heard the story of Esther many times in church but I liked the way they told the story in this video. The song was clever and the video was humorous. Also, I didn't know what the festival of Purim was or that it celebrated the story of Esther, pretty cool stuff.  ( Image Source ) I loved this image because it is an important thing to remember when writing. As a writer, I am always hypercritical of my own work. That's, why it took me so long to conclude that I should: a) be an English Writing major and b) actually let people read my writing. There have been several posts this week about remembering that a fear of being wrong or striving to be perfect will only hold you back.

Week 14 Reading: Seven Secrets of the Goddess Part B

Rural cultures v. urban cultures rural valued fertility - associated with women urban valued obedience - associated with men, making women subservient  indicated control and discipline urbanization led to more rules and the idea of evil - one who does not submit to the rules Chinese myth Yin & Yang work in harmony to create life Yin - male dragon in the sky yang- the earth like a phoenix that recreates itself from ashes  Confucian traditions favor culture over nature favoring hierarchy, making the man more important  patriarchal societies link women with nature and men with culture culture domesticates nature --> men are asked to domesticate women Mesopotamian myth Marduk (male god-king) defeats Tiamat the primal female monster and brings order to the world stories like this abound across cultures Adam & Eve Eve tempts Adam to eat the forbidden fruit before Eve, God created Lilith who refused to be subservient to Adam a...