Skip to main content

Famous Last Words: Best Writing for the Week

My best writing for this week was not for this class. It was for my Advance Creative Non-fiction class. We are wrapping up the semester by writing what are called lyric essays. Lyric essays are kind of a hybrid form of writing that includes strong sensory details that give the language the lyrical feeling while also employing strategies to tie the writing together like an essay. I wrote mine using lines from gospel songs. The songs were out of my great-grandmother's hymnal and I used the lyrics to structure my essay into three parts. The real meat of the essay was about my great-grandma and I's relationship as we both grew older. It was really hard to write but I think it turned out beautifully. It was hard to write as in emotional, not difficult craft-wise. I am not particularly religious but the hymns were a way for me to connect with my childhood spent with my Grandma Polly. I got some great feedback from a small peer review group in class last week and I get to workshop the piece with the entire class on Wednesday.

I was nervous going into writing the lyric essay because at first, I wasn't getting the concept. After a few failed attempts I thought of the old hymns Grandma Polly would sing to me when I was little and inspiration came to me. I've been writing about her a lot recently. She died when I was 16 and I think writing about her helps me hold onto the memories of her that are slowly slipping away as I age. It took a lot out of me to write the essay but I really think I stumbled onto something great. Everyone I've allowed read it so far said that the language is powerful and emotional - one person even described it as a kick in the throat but like in a good way. I think I might try my hand at writing more lyric essays.

(Made with QuotePixel - Lyrics from one of the hymns in my essay)

Comments

  1. When you lose someone who is so special to you, the pain and grief never completely fades away. I lost my grandfather last summer, and I wrote a sort of tribute to him for Mythology and Folklore last semester. Writing or doing other things to release your feelings and thoughts about grief helps me and I think it helps a lot of people. I would love to read your essay, it sounds absolutely fascinating!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Week 14 Review

This video caught my eye because I had heard the story of Esther many times in church but I liked the way they told the story in this video. The song was clever and the video was humorous. Also, I didn't know what the festival of Purim was or that it celebrated the story of Esther, pretty cool stuff.  ( Image Source ) I loved this image because it is an important thing to remember when writing. As a writer, I am always hypercritical of my own work. That's, why it took me so long to conclude that I should: a) be an English Writing major and b) actually let people read my writing. There have been several posts this week about remembering that a fear of being wrong or striving to be perfect will only hold you back.

Week 14 Reading: Seven Secrets of the Goddess Part B

Rural cultures v. urban cultures rural valued fertility - associated with women urban valued obedience - associated with men, making women subservient  indicated control and discipline urbanization led to more rules and the idea of evil - one who does not submit to the rules Chinese myth Yin & Yang work in harmony to create life Yin - male dragon in the sky yang- the earth like a phoenix that recreates itself from ashes  Confucian traditions favor culture over nature favoring hierarchy, making the man more important  patriarchal societies link women with nature and men with culture culture domesticates nature --> men are asked to domesticate women Mesopotamian myth Marduk (male god-king) defeats Tiamat the primal female monster and brings order to the world stories like this abound across cultures Adam & Eve Eve tempts Adam to eat the forbidden fruit before Eve, God created Lilith who refused to be subservient to Adam a...