Skip to main content

Wikipedia Trail: From Vritra to the Tang Dynasty


  • Vritra
    • I chose to start with Vritra because I am using him as a main character in my storybook project 
    • He is a serpent or dragon, the personification of drought, and adversary of Indra. Vritra was also known in the Vedas as Ahi He appears as a dragon blocking the course of the rivers and is heroically slain by Indra. Source: Vritra Wiki
  • Metal
    • I ended up on the Wiki for metal because on the Vritra page part of the story about how Vritra is defeated by Indra says that he could not be attacked with anything made of metal, wood, or stone. Source: Metal Wiki
  • Currency
    • I then went from metal to coinage and ended up on the wiki page for currency
    • "In the most specific use of the word, currency refers to money in any form when in actual use or circulation as a medium of exchange, especially circulating banknotes and coins. A more general definition is that a currency is a system of money (monetary units) in common use, especially in a nation." Source: Currency Wiki
  • Tang Dynasty
    • I got here from currency because in premodern China paper money was developed to provide a form of money less physically "cumbersome" than copper coins.
    • The Tang Dynasty "was an imperial dynasty of China preceded by the Sui dynasty and followed by the Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms period. It is generally regarded as a high point in Chinese civilization, and a golden age of cosmopolitan culture." Source: Tang Dynasty Wiki

(Tang Dynasty from Haiku Deck by Natalie Michel


Comments

  1. The picture of the dragon alone was enough to make me click on this. Going through and reading all of the wiki trails has been very informative this semester, and your post on this is no different. Vritra is really a fierce dragon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Week 13 Storytelling: Kumby's Plan

(Kumbhakarna from Smite Game Official Wiki ) As he slumbered the pounding of drums and the ringing of trumpets rolled through his unconscious mind.  Though he was cursed to slumber for half of the year, Kumby still absorbed the happenings around him. Kumby slumbered on but the pounding of drums grew steadily louder. He rolled over, covering his ears with his massive arms. However, his giant arms were not enough to drown out the sounds. "Kumby! Wake up brother, I need you now!"  a distant voice called, cutting through the fog in his mind. "Rav?" he muttered groggily. The voice called again. Kumby's eyes opened slowly blinking away the sleep. He rubbed at them with the backs of his meaty hands. "Kumby, brother, the kingdom is under attack. We are at war. I need you fighting beside me," Rav said, clapping his brother on his enormous shoulder. Kumby, the giant, blinked again willing all of the grogginess out of his mind. "What wa...

Introduction to a Future Best-Selling Author

Hello, everyone, I am Erika and I've finally gotten used to blogging since taking Myth & Folklore last semester.  I am an English Writing major who has been at OU forever (I am ancient compared to some of you). I only have 2 semesters left after this one (Spring '18)! I am getting a minor in anthropology, the combination of the two makes this class the perfect fit. The best class that I took last semester was called Literature of Empire and it focused on issues such as colonialism and how its represented in different genres of fiction like steampunk and sci-fi, we even got to read the first two volumes of The League of Extraordinary Gentleman graphic novels. If I'm not at school I am probably working, I spend a lot of time toiling away at Lowe's. I work in the Hardware department and my 5 year anniversary with the company is in March. I am always surrounded by animals. Where I used to live there were 5 people, 4 cats, 3 dogs, and a snake! Now I live alone but I...